Thursday, October 30, 2014

Custard Powder Halwa

Hey guys! Hope you all had a wonderful Diwali with your loved ones!!

 H & I had a blast; visited temple, exchanged greetings over phone with loved ones back in India, met my friends over here and exchanged sweets/savories.

Speaking of sweets, remember I told you the menu  that was decided for Diwali? Well, I altered it at the last minute(sooo ME). So the new menu included murukku, custard powder halwa(no prizes for guessing), bread/rusk ladoo and Karachi halwa.

So, every time I make this Karachi/cornflour Halwa, I fail miserably to attain the glossy texture. I have made twice, once on stove-top and once in micro-wave No LUCK!

It does taste yummy, its just the glossy texture which was not attained. I consulted a lot of people, and derived that the people in US are the ones who aren't getting the glossy texture.

So I figured corn flour is the culprit, which didn't have enough corn starch or whatsoever to attain the desired texture.. I scheduled an immediate brainstorming session with the members of pantry and Miss Custard powder said 'try me, I have enough cornstarch in me' I was like Why NOT?!
Tried the exact same process, just substituted corn flour with custard powder and it works like a charm! 
Also, Custard powder halwa > Cornflour halwa
because the custard powder already has color and flavor in it. Its one of the easiest & foolproof recipe for Diwali or any other festival/occasion. You can whip it up in less than 15 minutes, you guys!!



Here's what we need


  • custard powder(any flavor, I used mango flavor)- 1 cup
  • sugar - 3 cups
  • water - 4 cups
  • ghee - 5 tsp
  • cashews - 12 to 15

Method 


  • Grease a plate with ghee and keep aside. Break the cashews into smaller pieces.
before you switch on the flame

  • In a thick bottomed pan, add custard powder, sugar, water and mix well. There shouldn't one single, teeny tiny lump.
switch on the stove and keep the flame on high
  • Now keep the pan on the stove, the mixture will start to boil and eventually thicken.keep stirring.
  • Pour in the ghee and cashews and mix well. You will notice the change in texture, it should be glossy.
  • Keep stirring till the mixture leaves the side of the pan and switch off the flame.
  • Pour the mixture into the greased plate and let it coll down completely.




  • Cut it into pieces and the yummiest and the easiest halwa is ready !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you like it? Don't be a silent reader ;) leave a comment

Privacy Policy