Thursday, July 17, 2014

Jelly Custard

Hello, my dear friends! It has been a while since my last blog post.I had few busy weeks. But yeah, I know - no excuses ! I admit that I was too lazy to type out a post. But here is a special treat to make it up for the delay.

We are heading towards peak summer, and I am sure some 'cold treats' to ourselves will definitely make our day. Hot summers reminds me of my childhood memories where I picture me having having ice-cream or popsicle after lunch with my amma (mom). I happened to go through my recipe book & I came across this recipe. I am clean bowled when it comes to Jelly. I love its shiny and shaky texture. Usually we make custard with fruit salad, but this time I wanted to make it with jelly. This is very easy to make & a healthy dessert too. Here you go with the yummy recipe....
                                  
                                  




Ingredients 

  • Cherry jelly- 1 full packet
  • Water measurement for jelly- 400 ml ( 1 1/2 -2 cups)
  • Vanilla custard powder- 3 tbsp
  • Milk- 3 cups 
  • Sugar- 6 tbsp 

Method 

  • Jelly preparation should be very carefully done, always use less water than mentioned in the pack. I used approximately 1 1/2 cups of water for setting the jelly in right consistency (if we add more water it will make  jelly a mess).
  • Heat the jelly mixture water first, once it starts to boil switch off the flame. Now pour the jelly mixture as the bottom layer and allow it to cool, then refrigerate the cups.
  • Meanwhile you can prepare the custard. Take 1/2 cup of milk, mix it with custard powder and sugar without any lumps until both gets dissolved completely. Keep aside.
  • Heat the remaining milk, when it starts to boil. Add the custard mixture to the milk and keep stirring continuously to avoid lumps and burning of the mixture. 
  • When it starts to thicken switch off the flame and allow it to cool down. Remember when you pour the custard on top of jelly, it should not be runny. 
  • Once it cools down, fill the remaining gap with custard mixture on top of the jelly. Again refrigerate it for 30 mins or until served. 
  • While serving top it with cherry or grape. Jelly custard is now ready to be served chilled.
                                   

Tips

  • You can also garnish with nuts and fruits.
  • Remember to stir continuously until the custard comes to its desired consistency because it might tend to get burnt at some time.
  • You can also use cardamom while doing custard for flavor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you like it? Don't be a silent reader ;) leave a comment

Privacy Policy